Sunday 17 April 2011

A woman knows



I had a woman come to me and wanted my care. she had a very interesting life style.
This was her 7th or 8th baby. She weighed 400lbs, She was homeless somehow living with her alcoholic boyfriend, who was about 30 yrs older than her. Her other children were, well  I'm not sure where they were, possibly with her ex husband.

I'm not sure why I chose her, I prayed about her and her situation and I finally took her. Got her housing and all the other things she needed. While I was uncertain about her children, living situation and this pregnancy, she deserved good non-judgemental care. SO they go settled into a calmer life, safer for her and baby.

We were going over all her preg and upcoming birth information, she told me that all of her placentas came out after 3 hrs postpartum. And that other midwives liked to force things along, they never came out sooner and that it made her mad.
I had put her on my Uterine Toner, knowing she would have a shorter labor, I also thought it would work on her placenta time.
She went into labor, her boyfriend was very helpful, and she had a very nice, short  home birth with a healthy 7lb boy. We talked about her placenta, and as she entered the 2nd hr I was getting a bit nervous.
 I couldn't check her fundus to see if it was rising- letting me know if there's trapped blood behind the placenta -because of her weight. Heck during labor, I couldn't hear the baby because of her weight. I did a bunch of praying, and  had to admit that she knew her body more than I did. At 2hrs and 45 minutes she decided she wanted a shower. She wasn't dizzy or didn't have ringing in her ears when she stood up, so I said ok take a shower but I'm going to be by the door in case something happens.

EXACTLY 3 hours after her birth- the placenta comes out on the shower floor. Intact and healthy looking.

                                                       Another reason to listen to mom.

No comments: