Sunday 17 April 2011

My Biggest BREECH--- so far

Yrs ago I was attending a mom for her home birth.
First let me tell you about her. She had been my next door neighbor for several yrs. Had heard about me and started her care with me, for the 1st baby. She then canceled and went with a doc and hospital birth. 9lb baby "needed forceps" to get baby out. 2nd preg. Comes back to me, looks good, but then about a month into care stops again, goes to hospital, and has the same type of forceps birth with another big baby.
Ok, the 3rd one she comes to talk to me,wanted my care again. However, this time she apologized for her being a "chicken", and that no matter what she wants me for her home birth. I had to think about it, but did accept her in my care again.
She was less than 5ft tall, and had a short waist- in other words she was ALL baby. Heart tones always sounded good, baby palpated as LOA, with an LOA heart position. goes into labor, she took my Uterine Toner, so she went quite quick..
 Dad reaches down -She's kneeling in front of him- and he feels just inside her and says " Sherri, this doesn't feel like a head down baby"
I think he's joking with me, I check ( I hadn't done any other vag exams yet) and sure enough there's a  butt with dark mec coming out. We get her in a better position- and now pops out a little penis and he pees in my face.
Anyway, long story, we are all laughing cause the 3 of us together are actually having fun.
She's 10 cm and ready to push, baby has been sitting on perineum for a few minutes, but now she pushes, complete breech anterior baby boy comes sliding out as quick and easy as can be.

After mom and dad love on him for awhile, he nurses well, and we switch mom to her bed. She wants to take a shower, and with dad's help she does.
I am sitting on the bed with baby, and I uncover him only to see his little legs jack knifed above his head. Crazy looking, but many breeches will do this for several days. His newborn exam was great. Mom and dad are now in the bedroom, and checking him out more. We laugh about his legs.
I weighed him, (he looked quite large)   9 lbs 14 oz.
Huge breech baby.
Mom did not tear. ( I have never had a breech birth mom tear so far).
 She kept on saying how good she felt. She and dad were amazed at what she had" just done. She  then questioned the "need for forceps before". Now she felt like super woman !

We all wondered why she chose the hospital for the others, but was adamant about having this little guy with me. She was positive I was the one who helped her birth her biggest baby, and a breech ! And that she knew I could do the birth she needed.
Wow
Sherri

No comments: